Friday, April 1, 2016

Historical Identity Project- sneak peek

My first official workshop at The Makers Mills in North Adams in collaboration with MASS MoCA Assets for Artist in February 2016

As a stay at home mother, wife and personal need to create. It is important self-care to take time for myself. My supportive husband was able to gift me a week away to devote time to my art practice.
 Just some small peek at my images as this is an ongoing trial and error project.

I aim to explore narrative structures by recovering the untold or forgotten histories of my Puerto Rican heritage. After reading the book released in Spring 2015 by Nelson Denis entitled “War Against All Puerto Ricans” my eyes were opened to the untold relationship and history of the United States with Puerto Rico. After six months of distilling and processing the book I gained much respect for Pedro Albizu Campos, the leading figure in the Puerto Rican independence movement and became aware of the FBI files kept of individuals in PR. I was reminded of the overlooked and forgotten relationship of my own family with Mr. Albizu Campos. I was prompted to research and investigate my family’s relationship and or participation with the independence movement of PR. My research took me to submitting for Free of Information Act to research if any FBI files were kept on my great grandmother and potentially one kept on my great grandfather whom I discovered presided the board of the nationalist party in his home town of Aguas Buenas, PR.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment