Wednesday, September 23, 2015

#Latina:Reclaiming the Latina Tag


At MASS MoCA I aim to complete another 15-20 selfie paintings making #Latina:Reclaiming the Latina Tag,  series the largest in my painted selfie series.

We all have a cultural identity that is formed by family, community, country, and the world in which we live. Today, selfies aid in constructing identity by providing a new mode and venue for negotiating values, perceptions, and assertions. I present myself and my Latino identity via my selfies. By re-presenting the quickly created, ever changing, and widely circulated selfie with a more traditional, time sensitive painting approach and hanging it on an art gallery wall, I want viewers to also slow down and more deeply engage the politics of identity negotiated in a portrait, from ethnic identity to social activism.

No comments:

Post a Comment